My mom gave me a chicken carcass the other day and I made my own broth from it. In my opinion, its so much better than canned broth but I have nothing against it and use it myself when I don’t have my own. I’m also unsure why I always make HOT meals on HOT days. The last 80 degree day I made calzones in a 400 degree oven and this 80 degree day, I made a big pot of Chicken Soup. Maybe during the next snow fall, I’ll put together a large garden salad and then I’ll really have something pretty sweet going on here at 1046!
- Home-made pot of chicken broth.
- Shred, Dice… However you like Chicken – Taken from 1 whole roasted chicken.
- 6 carrots, peeled & diced
- 4-5 celery sticks (almost 1 stalk), diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 large handfuls of Spinach, Chopped
- 1-2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- Fresh Basil, chopped
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- After making home-made chicken broth, I set the broth aside and heated a little EVOO in the pot.
- Then, I sauteed the onion, garlic, carrots & celery until soft. Sprinkle some S&P over veggies while cooking.
- I then added the diced tomato, chicken and broth to the pot.
- If your home-made broth didn’t get a whole lot of flavor, you can add 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes to the pot for more.
- Stir and add all seasonings.
- At the very end, add chopped spinach and cook until wilted.
- Cook noodles of your choice. (We used egg noodles because its what I had in the pantry!)
Sprinkle a little Romano Cheese on top & Serve!
“Good manners: The noise you don’t make when you’re eating good soup.” ~Bennett Cerf