My mom gave me a chicken carcass the other day and I made my own broth from it. In my opinion, its so much better than canned broth but I have nothing against it and use it myself when I don’t have my own. I’m also unsure why I always make HOT meals on HOT days. The last 80 degree day I made calzones in a 400 degree oven and this 80 degree day, I made a big pot of Chicken Soup. Maybe during the next snow fall, I’ll put together a large garden salad and then I’ll really have something pretty sweet going on here at 1046!
Read the rest of this entry
What was I thinking? It was the perfect opportunity for grilled salmon or the perfect night to grill my cilantro/lime chicken and serve corn & bean salad with it. Heck, really, it was the PERFECT night for a big salad! Topped with grilled steak, chicken, or fish…. I made Calzones. in a 425 degree oven. with no air conditioning. Where was my head? Poor Brian wasn’t even greeted with a sweet ‘hello’ or a kiss when he arrived home. I looked at him with a sweaty face and mascara running down my eyes and that was all he needed to make the decision to head to the AC FIRST and turn. it. ON! (In March) Even the boys side burns were wet. It was hot! Hot! HOT! I primped myself, then properly greeted my hard working man and we sat down to dinner. These calzones turned out great! For the dipping sauce, I used a small container of my homemade pasta sauce… Oh, the joys are freezing sauce!
Read the rest of this entry
Tasty & Easy to Make — This Healthy Pizza is a perfect dinner for you and your family!
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1- 15 oz. can Great northern beans or Navy beans, drained
2 cloves Garlic, peeled & chopped
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1- 10 oz. thin crust pre-made pizza crust
1 cup fresh Basil leaves, shredded
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat Oven 425
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them enough to just cover. Let stand for 10 minutes to soften them. Drain well, then chop into thin strips.
- Place beans, garlic and oregano in a food processor. Cover & blend until smooth.
- Spread bean paste over surface or pizza crust
- Sprinkle with sun-dried tomatoes, basil then cheese.
- Place pizza on un-greased cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Try using Reduced Fat mozzarella Cheese to lower calories
Double the recipe to make 2 pizzas if you have a larger family (or big eaters) 😉
* Serve with a Side Salad topped with oil & balsamic vinegar
You would NEVER know there wasn’t ‘meat’ in these burritos!
1 tbsp canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained
3 tbsp fresh salsa
6 reduced-fat flour tortillas (I’ve used Mission)
1 cup shredded cheese (4-cheese Mexican blend)
1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 3)
1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
6 tbsp thinly sliced green onions
6 tbsp light sour cream
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium
- Add garlic then stir in chile powder & salt
- Stir in 1/3 cup water & beans. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir in salsa. Partially mash bean mixture with a fork.
- Warm tortillas then spoon about 1/3 cup bean mixture into the center of each tortilla.
- Top with cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion & sour cream.
- Roll Up and TASTE! 😉
* I like to serve this dish with either brown, white or spanish rice and a side of steamed broccoli!
Don’t ask me who ‘ALICE’ is but this recipe is GOOD!
Note: This dish is 930 cal but I wouldn’t post it if it weren’t DELICIOUS! Also, I’d place bets that pork bacon is a LOT of that, not to mention the cheese. When I find a yummy dish, I like to find ways to make it more healthy. For this recipe, I cut the cheese in 1/2, used a LIGHT turkey bacon and didn’t use the whole container of honey mustard. 😉
4 Chicken Breasts
5 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
8 slice Bacon
2 tbsp butter
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 container Honey Mustard Dressing
- Place chicken in glass bowl. Poke with fork & pour Worcestershire sauce in & coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cooke Bacon & set aside.
- Melt butter in saute pan & saute mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to BROIL
- Broil the chicken on a pan for 5 minutes each side.
- When almost finished, top with 2 slices of the pre-cooked bacon, then cheese.
* Serve with Side of Mushrooms & dressing drizzled on top!
- I purchased thin-sliced chicken breasts – Something you could also do yourself!
- I also served this dish with a side salad made with romaine.
- If I use bacon, I use light turkey bacon and if I’m feeling very brave, I’ll attempt a homemade honey mustard dressing!
- I doubled the mushrooms for my family of 4 & they were gone!